Since the early 1990s, the City of Lewisville has awarded Arts Support Grants to local nonprofit arts organizations using Hotel Occupancy Tax money. State law allows this use, up to 15 percent of gross revenue, as promotion of tourism.
Grant applications are submitted to, and reviewed by, the Arts Advisory Board each spring. A recommendation is included in the annual proposed budget for Council consideration, and grant awards are made on an annual basis. For the 2016-2017 fiscal year seven grants were awarded for a total of $168,400.
An Arts organization meeting all criteria listed below is eligible to apply for funding from the City of Lewisville Hotel Occupancy Tax Fund:
- Non Profit tax-exempt arts organizations;
- Proposing a program/event/exhibition to take place within the city limits of the City of Lewisville. Events may be held outside of the city limits of Lewisville with approval of the City council;
- Must have successfully fulfilled all prior contractual obligations to City of Lewisville;
- Must have local (Lewisville resident) representation on Board of Directors; and
- A representative of the organization must have attended the pre application training session to be scheduled annually.
For more information on the Arts Grant Program for the City of Lewisville, please contact Arts Manager Denise Helbing at 972.219.8478 or by email at email@example.com.
General Schedule for Applications/Review/Approval
- February 3, 2017: City staff will make available to potential applicants digital copies of the current grant application form. Applicants may contact Arts Manager to schedule a time to review the application form and answer any questions on the process of application.
- A mandatory Grant Application Meeting will be held on March 14 6 p.m., at the MCL Grand. At least one member of any applicant organization must be in attendance.
- April 14, 2017: Completed applications and support materials are due to Arts Manager. Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted.
- April 18, 2017: Arts Manager will distribute copies of the submitted applications to members of the Arts Advisory Board for review. Arts Manager will also provide copies of the grant review instrument to the Arts Board.
- May 16, 2017: Arts Advisory Board Meets to make recommendation on funding of Arts Grants for FY 2017-2018.
- May 31, 2017: Arts Manager delivers recommendation of Arts Advisory Board to City Manager.
- TBD: Annual City Council Budget Workshop
- TBD: City Council adoption of budget
FY 2016-17 Grant Recipients
|Greater Lewisville Community Theatre||$34,000
|Lakecities Ballet Theatre||$42,000
|Lewisville Civic Chorale||$3,603
|Lewisville Lake Symphony||$42,000
|Our Productions Theatre Co.||$6,000
|The Actors Conservatory Theatre||$33,297
|Visual Art League of Lewisville